Thursday, July 8, 2010

Damaged


Don't you just love some stores philosophy of returns. You know, stores like TJ Maxx and Kohls with their "we will take it back no matter what" policy. I purchased a food processor and a pair of shoes recently. Two months later the food processor stopped working. I took it back and got a full refund. The store clerk placed a label on it that said DAMAGED. This got me thinking wouldn't it be nice if it worked like that in all parts of life. For instance, you meet a girl only to realize she's got repressed daddy issues- pull out a stamp, mark her as damaged, send her back. You meet a guy and realize he has gotten his heart broken one time too many and he is determined to never care again. So he runs from commitment and sexes without emotion. What do you do?- Pull out a stamp, mark him as damaged, and send him back.

Realistically aren't we all damaged?

I know I have a bright red stamp that marks me Damaged by dead Mommy issues, self doubt, and fear of giving my all only to get nothing in return. Fear of vulnerability, fear of dependence, fear of submission, and fear of forever. Sounds pretty damaged to me. We are all a little damaged in our own ways. The gamble is that we don't have that nice warning label that tells others we need to be fixed, or looked over.

I believe the greater danger is those of us who don't even know just how damaged we are.

Like in the 6th sense when the dead people have no idea they are dead. How many of us don't even know that we are in need of repair. How many of us can be mended? Where do we start? Maybe that Chris Brown stunt was not fake. Maybe that marked the time that he realized he to was damaged. He needed to start with that "Man in the Mirror".

But how?

The media is quick to demonstrate upper class Caucasians talking out their problems with counselors. Sitting on fancy leather sofas and paying hundreds per hour. But how many minorities take advantage of establishing positive relationships with professionals who are trained to listen and guide? So often we rely on our friends or family who are just as damaged, if not more, to give us piss poor advise that leads to the same cycle of parameters that lead us to be as damaged as we are in first place.

Isn't it time that our community leads a campaign for positive mental and emotional health? Should we start being more proactive in our approach to our well being? We spend so much time dressing ourselves in the best of labels. However, labels mean little to a person so empty inside that their tears flow like rivers in the silence of the night.

I believe it is time for me to stop being so Damaged.

It's time to walk a little lighter by laying some of this baggage down. I'm ready. Are you?

2 comments:

  1. I'm ready. Actually started seeing a therapist around this time last year. I've since stopped but it did help me realize how damaged i was in some areas! I agree with this & love how it was written! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny but this was in part also sparked by a friend who I noticed continued to refer to girls as damaged. Then the incident happened in the store and it just got me thinking. Wow is damaged a word I would have to use for myself. I think Meridith in Grays Anat. used to describe herself as damaged. I guess it is time to fix that :)

    ReplyDelete